Ruptured Breast Implant: Is there a Test to Locate Silicone?

I've had a ruptured Silicone Breast Implant for a number years. I got the implants in 1979 and haven't had any problems with them until I changed doctors. While I was taking my records to the new facility, I read a report from two years ago the I had a ruptured right implant. So, it has been leaking for two years. After reading horror stories on the Internet I am afraid that this has put my health at risk. Is there some type of test to determine where the silicone has gone to and have them removed?

No specific test

There is no specific test to look at systemic levels of silicone in your body after a ruptured implant. If you have a suspicious mass it should be biopsied. Sometimes lymph nodes can accumulate some of the leaking silicone and that can cause the lymph node to enlarge (these would typically be in your axilla). If there is not a specific mass then likely the treatment would be to remove the ruptured implant and the scar tissue formed around the implant. I hope this helps.

Back to Patient Questions

We are leaders in breast enhancement, body sculpting, and facial cosmetic surgery, serving the entire San Francisco Bay area. Whether you live in the Bay Area or are coming in from out of town, we’re happy to answer any questions you may have on your path to your new self. Schedule an intro call with us today to take the first step towards realizing the look you’ve always wanted for yourself.

Contact us media
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at (925) 217-8953.
Book Now Contact Us